Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Prayers of Old

"What more can we give?" I asked this to Padre as we walked down the path to the great reservoir. It was a mile downhill from the road as the footpath opened up and snaked its way through the pine woods. He grumbled as he walked in his old leather sandals. His feet black with dirt and soot. He seemed to be in great discomfort as we made the long dissent downhill. "You can give it all to the service. You and your family can come to the seminars and pray. Just like the others. Just like your parents did." He couldn't be more serious. I said how there are things I simply will not do, and going to the seminars was most definitely one of those things - how god in his glory understood my amazing ability to dream and dream deep. He nodded his response. It was ten minutes later when we arrived at the rock cliff 50 yards above the reservoir. Padre took off his robes and fully stripped down. He gave me a long and solemn look - then with a giant war cry he hurled himself from the cliff. I watched as he executed a flawless cannon ball, finishing with a majestic splash - his aged body enveloped into the dark green water below. I stood for a moment before turning to make my way back up to where I had parked the Buick. Shelly was making cube steak for dinner and I knew that it would be a nightmare if I didn't get back by 7. I thought of Padre's words as I trudged back up the slope. I guess we all could give a little more, but who has the time? I feel like they had taken every morsel from mother and father, leaving them with very little to retire on. It didn't matter anymore - we all end up in the same place anyhow. I didn't mind Padre's words once I was back in the car. I turned on the a.m. radio and the local station was playing some honkytonk solo piano - it was all jangly and suited my mood just fine. I leaned into the gas pedal just as the sun setting on the horizon - felt the wonder wash over me as my eyes closed and the sleep brought me under. I saw Shelly standing there. She was saying something and lifting me in her arms. My dreams fully took hold and pushed me further out to sea. I swore to myself I could hold on.

No comments:

Post a Comment